Fruit Tree Dance

One of my favorite dances to do with the my four year olds is the fruit tree dance! It’s at the very end of the warm-up when we stand up in a circle. I love it because it uses their imaginations, gets them to stretch there bodies and allows them to begin to move through space. Here’s the dance:

I tell them to look up high at the big fruit tree over our heads. (after a few weeks all you have to say is “what’s up there?” and they know what you are talking about.) I ask each student what kind of fruit they see on the tree. Some say “bright yellow lemons” some say “heavy watermelons” and usually they say every other fruit that exists, even some fruits that don’t grow on trees! haha!

Once everyone has had a turn we show our basket, which is a round shape with our body, or arms. We then jump up high and reach up high to get all fruit off the tree to put in our basket. I usually have a song for this part. At the end of the song our basket is full. Then we walk very quietly into the middle of the circle but our basket is to heavy, we all drop them and all the fruit spills out onto the floor!

Then I tell them I am so thirsty, of course they say they are too.I say “let’s make some fruit juice with all this fruit!” We then jump and squish all the fruit. We jump and stomp around the inside of the circle until all the fruit is mashed up. I use another song for this part.

I like to give them some feelings or sensations to think about. “Think about squishy fruit in your toes.” “Think about the round fruit rolling on the bottoms of your feet” It’s fun to see them thinking about it and really getting into it!

After we are done mashing up all the fruit, I tell them to go back to their spot in the circle so we can drink up the fruit juice we made. We get a cup, get some juice and drink it all up. Sometimes we even make smoothies too. Before we drink it we smooth out the juice by putting the smooth quality into our bodies. They absolutely love it!

Try it sometime, it’s really fun for you too! Plus, talking about fruit in my class is important. I have been trying to add in vegetables too. Stay tuned for a vegetable dance. ;)

Do you have a dance like this in your warm-up? Do you include fruit into your classes? I would love to hear!

P.s. Find another fun fruit dance here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

16 Comments on Fruit Tree Dance

1. Pamela Levy
    May 9, 2011 at 11:11 am (3 years ago)

Outstanding movement idea Maria! Love this!

2. Dancing Branflake
    May 9, 2011 at 1:17 pm (3 years ago)

This is so wonderful! I always include fruit in my classes but never in this way. Fruit is so visceral and they all eat it so I definitely will be doing exercises like this in the future. Thank you, Maria!

• maria
      May 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm (3 years ago)

Ahhh, so glad you ladies like this idea. It’s really fun to do. I never get tired of doing it or teaching it! How else do you include fruit? :)

3. Zan
    May 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm (3 years ago)

Love your ideas!! I do a Turnip Dance which involves a lot of stretching. Not entirely fruits or vegetables but enough to cover FDA recommendations!

• maria
      May 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm (3 years ago)

What is the Turnip dance? Would you like to share it with us? :)

4. Zan
    May 20, 2011 at 6:43 am (3 years ago)

Sure…sorry for the delay!
    The chant is written first – action in parentheses.
    Flat as a pancake (lie on back.)
    Round like a turnip (contract to roll into a ball on side.)
    Stretch like spaghetti (stretch long on side keep balance.)
    Flat as toast (lie on belly.)
    Up like a banana (cobra pose.)
    Flat as toast.
    Stretch like spaghetti.
    Round like a turnip
    Flat as a pancake (repeat other side.)
    Up like a fruit bowl(bend knees and roll up to sitting.)
    Dive into the fruit bowl (stretch legs long, reach arms up them down and stretch along legs to toes.)
    Again into the fruit bowl.
    Close like clam (contract and pull legs and arms in tight.)
    Open like a starfish (sitting second position.)
    Fold the petals over (contract again.)
    Open like a sunflower (stretch arms up and legs in front together.)
    The pull, pull, pull an elephant on your stomach (bend knees and pull imaginary rope as you do a slow roll down.)

Okay – sort of crazy but it works for me!

• maria
      May 20, 2011 at 8:00 am (3 years ago)

Oh my goodness! How awesome!!! I love it! What a great way to incorporate a floor stretch. Thank you so much for sharing :)

5. Debbie
    March 25, 2012 at 9:25 pm (2 years ago)

Cute dance!
    I teach kids’ yoga & my preschoolers love Laurie Berkner’s “Fruit Salad Salsa.” We have poses for pineapples, bananas & oranges, and we stretch forwards, sideways, and in twists to pick the fruit. Maybe your students would enjoy it, too!

• maria
      March 26, 2012 at 7:59 pm (2 years ago)

Debbie, as soon as I read your comment I went to itunes and purchased the “fruit salad salsa” It’s awesome, I will use it with my baby classes for sure! thank you so much for the recommendation! :)

6. Jessica
    January 30, 2013 at 11:39 pm (1 year ago)

I borrowed this idea in one of my PreK classes last week. This past week, I experienced my first ‘request’ and one of my students asked me if we could do the “fruit dance!” Thank you for the idea!

• maria
      January 31, 2013 at 2:52 pm (1 year ago)

awww! yay! It’s a dance that I always get requests for too! :) Jessica, I got your e-mail and will respond in the next few days! :)

5Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Fruit Tree Dance

1. Farmers Market Dance « Maria's Movers
    June 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm (3 years ago)

[...] you try the Farmers Market Dance with your students? Have you ever done a fruit or veggies dance?  We would love to hear! creative movement, dance educator, teaching tools [...]

2. Apples and Honey « Maria's Movers
    September 26, 2011 at 8:11 pm (3 years ago)

[...] my fruit tree dance? I grabbed from that and picked apples off the tree.  They got to choose if they were red, [...]

3. 3 Creative Hungry Caterpillar Ideas « Maria's Movers
    May 31, 2012 at 2:53 pm (2 years ago)

[...] Qualities and Shapes: 3 and up The caterpillar eats through a ton of fruit. We had done the fruit tree dance earlier in the class, so I joked that the caterpillar found our fruit tree! But then he gets to [...]